meta data for this page
The CoreELEC User Forums are a great place to ask for help when running into problems with your CoreELEC installation. Opening a Support thread is a great way to solve an issue and a place where everyone in the community can contribute and learn.
In order for our volunteers to assist you better, there are a few things you can do prior to reaching out for help in the User Support Forums.
Prior to posting an error
This document lists many options, covering a multitude of scenarios.
Please take the time to read through them and try as many as possible.
- Whenever possible, start with making a full backup to an external medium.
Troubleshooting tip #1
Install CoreELEC onto, and boot from, external media such as a USB Flash Drive or (μ)SD Card and verify if the issue persists.
This approach offers also a safe work environment for further troubleshooting without jeopardizing the existing installation.
- On generic devices, ensure Android 7.1 (Nougat) or greater is installed
- Use the Kodi default skin (Estuary)
- Power the device off and
- Unplug from the power source
- leave unplugged for at least 30 seconds then
- Power the device back on
- Use the CoreELEC testing guidelines
- Ensure the correct device tree was applied to CoreELEC
- Ensure the correct update file was applied to CoreELEC
- Try a clean install using the correct CoreELEC release and device tree and
- restore addons and settings from backup or
- manually re-install the “offending” addon(s)
- Try a different (class 10) (μ)SD Card / USB Flash Drive and
- Try a new (class 10) (μ)SD Card / USB Flash Drive (if possible)
- Try the latest nightly build
- Consult the corresponding user forum threads for solutions (release & nightly)
- Consult the corresponding CoreELEC Wiki troubleshooting sections.
Opening a Support Request
Team CoreELEC applies a “no log, no problem” philosophy.
Without feedback, we are unable to help you.
Without information, our team of volunteers is unable to help. The more detail is provided, the better the team can help you.
Please refrain from blanket statements such as it doesn't work, the picture is bad, or my screen is black.
Instead, provide a detailed narrative of the issue, a list of troubleshooting steps attempted and supporting documentation such as logs, screenshots, etc.
Use our testing guidelines to attempt replicating the issue on your device in a clean environment, and if the issue persists:
- Provide a description of the issue
- Provide a system log
- Provide Device Information
- Set Top Box / SBC
- Memory Size
- Board type
- Provide Peripheral Information
- Display type (CRT, LCD, Projector,..), make and model
- Amplifier make and model
- Receiver make and model
- Sound System type (TV Speakers, Soundbar, Surround System,..), make and model
- TV Tuner make and model
- Type of wiring / cabling used
- Enable player process info
- Take screenshots (if needed use a cellphone to take a picture)
- Boot method
- (μ)SD Card
- USB Flash Drive
- Upon request by a CoreELEC Team Member:
- Provide a 30-second sample of the affected audio or video file or (captured) stream
- Provide a device tree
- Establish a terminal sharing session