meta data for this page
Recovery & upgrade
Please read this section carefully before performing an Android vendor firmware update/upgrade
If CoreELEC co-exists on the same eMMC with Android, it is required to remove the CoreELEC installation from internal eMMC prior to updating/upgrading the vendor Android firmware, otherwise the OTA firmware update/upgrade will fail!
Restoring the vendor firmware results in complete loss of the CoreELEC installation on internal eMMC. Team CoreELEC recommends to create a backup first.
1. Dual Boot mode
In Dual Boot mode, CoreELEC co-exists together with Androind on the eMMC module. This allows for booting between CoreELEC and Android. Internal storage is shared between both Operating Systems.
A. Booted from SD card or USB flash drive
- Use option  to create a backup of the CoreELEC installation on eMMC.
- Once the backup is finished, use option  to remove the CoreELEC installation from eMMC.
- The device is now ready to be upgraded by an Android image or a OTA update.
- After the Android upgrade/update the device bootloader environment has been reset to defaults. Therefore CoreELEC will no longer start from internal eMMC, SD Card or USB Flash Drive. Boot once from a SD card or USB flash drive with CoreELEC on it by using one of the commonly used methods like pushing and holding the reset button while powering on the device.
- After one successful boot of CoreELEC from external media, the backup created earlier can be used to (re)-install CoreELEC dual mode to eMMC by using option 
B. Booted from current CoreELEC installation on eMMC
- Use option  to make a copy of the internal CoreELEC installation to an insert SD Card or USB Flash Drive.
- When the copy process is finished, reboot the device to boot CoreELEC from an SD Card or USB Flash Drive, and proceed in the left column with step 2. of 1A. Booted from SD card or USB flash drive.
2. Single Boot mode
In Single Boot mode, CoreELEC is the only Operating System on the eMMC module, replacing Android OS completely. All internal storage is available to CoreELEC.